Awarded the Global Energy Prize for development of scientific and engineering foundation for building of the international thermonuclear reactor.
RAS Academician, Research Advisor, Head of the Plasma Energetics Subdepartment, Department of Problems of Physics and Energetics of MIPT, Honorary President, NRC “Kurchatov Institute”.
Evgeniy Velikhov was born on February 02, 1935 in Moscow. In 1958 he graduated from M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University, Faculty of Physics.
Since 1962 he started working in I.V. Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy. In the middle of sixties Velikhov offered an idea of creating revolutionary direction in the sphere of pulsed power. It is based on the use of powerful pulsed magnetohydrodynamic generators consuming solid fuel. In 1968 he got the status of a Corresponding-Member, and in 1974 — a full Member of the USSR Academy of Sciences. From 1977 to 1996 he was elected to the post of a Vice-president of Russian Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Since 1988 he was a Director of I.V. Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy. Since 2002 he took the position of a Chairman of the Board of Directors of Russian Scientific Institutions, engaged in works on the Project on Innovative Nuclear Reactors and Fuel Cycles.
Since 1992 up to now Velikhov is the President of the Russian Scientific Research Center «Kurchatov Institute», the Chairman of Council of International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor. Since 2003 he was an Academician-Secretary of the Department of Information Technologies and Computing Systems of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 1985 Evgeniy Velikhov was awarded with the highest prize of the USSR — Hero of Socialist Labour. In 2006 he became a Laureate of the Global Energy International Energy Prize for development of scientific and engineering foundation for building of the international thermonuclear reactor.
- Prospects for the Development of Pulse MHD Power Engineering and Its Application in Geology and Geophysics, 1981;
- Development Problems of Works in Automation of Scientific Research, 1983;
- Physical Phenomena in Gas-Discharge Plasma, 1987.
- A leading scientist in the field of pulsed power engineering.
- Suggested an idea of creating a principally new branch in pulsed power engineering.
- Suggested and experimentally put into effect a new type of pulsed high-power magnetohydrodynamic generators which found application in deep electromagnetic refraction of earth crust.
- Created unique inductive energy storage units, particularly, the world biggest power complex TIN-900 for power supply of pulsed thermonuclear and modeling facilities.
- Developed and constructed the biggest in Europe and Asia power plant Angara-5-1 on the basis of forming lines with water insulation.
- Carried out research on «Angara» which resulted in application of double liner scheme with utilization of radiating Z-pinches on the world largest plants.
- Created pulsed power engineering devices of gigajoule range.
- Carries out research in the field of controlled thermonuclear fusion.