For research and development in the field of thermal power engineering and heat transfer systems, enhancing resource potential of mankind.
RAS Academician, Head of Heat and Mass Transfer Laboratory of Institute of Thermophysics of the SB RAS.
- Sergey Alekseenko graduated from Novosibirsk State University in 1972, specializing in thermal physics. From 1972 to 1981, he worked as a research assistant, then as a junior researcher at Kutateladze Institute of Thermophysics of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (SB RAS).
- In 1979, he defended his thesis «Experimental research of two-dimensional wave flow of liquid films» for the scientific degree of candidate of physical and mathematical sciences.
- From 1981 to 1988, he worked as a docent at Krasnoyarsk State University. In 1988, he was appointed Head of the Department and Laboratory of Aerodynamics of Power Equipment at Kutateladze Institute of Thermophysics. In 1994, he defended his thesis «Wave flow of liquid films» for the scientific degree of doctor of physical and mathematical sciences.
- From 1997 to 2017, he was a Director at Institute of Thermophysics, since autumn of 2017 he is a head of division in the Institute, he is also a Chairman of the Joint scientific council on power, mechanical engineering, mechanics and management processes of the RAS Siberian branch, Head of heat and mass transfer’s laboratory of Institute of Thermophysics of the RAS Siberian Branch.
- Since 2016, he is a full member of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Academician Alekseenko is an expert in thermophysics, energy and energy saving, the author of more than 300 scientific papers, including 6 monographs and 130 papers published in peer-reviewed scientific journals. He holds 33 patents. His Hirsch index (h-index) is equal to 17, citations – 1268.
- His scientific achievements in the field of experimental research of multiphase flows and especially the wave flow of liquid films in application to the cooling of powerful computer processors and power engineering equipment are highly appreciated by the scientific community.
- Academician Alekseenko – Editor-in-Chief of the journal «Thermophysics and Aeromechanics», and also a member of the editorial boards of 11 international journals.
- The main areas of research of the scientist include the development of thermophysical foundations of the modern power and energy saving equipment creation. New fundamental results were obtained by him and his colleagues in the course of studies of heat and mass transfer processes and nonlinear stability of thin liquid films and annular gas-liquid flows, vortex structures in swirling flows, coherent structures and turbulence in flooded spatially-limited reacting jet streams and torches. This, in particular, allows to improve the combustion of fuels and inflammable materials at power plants and solid waste processing facilities, as well as to create energy saving concepts of various cooling systems for powerful computers, nuclear reactors, etc.
- From an applied point of view, his basic scientific efforts are focused on the problems related to the development of ecologically safe thermal power plants (modeling of combustion of gas, coal and liquid fuel), new types of burners, methods for thermal processing of solid domestic waste to generate thermal energy, as well as modeling of natural gas liquefaction processes, development of thermal and hydraulic safety standards for nuclear power plants, etc.
- Sergey Alekseenko is the initiator of the wide application of petrothermal energy (Earth’s internal heat) as one of the most recent global energy trends. This implies the use of standard thermal cycles and modern binary thermodynamic cycles, as well as heat pumps of a new generation.
- Since 2002, Kutateladze Institute of Thermophysics under his guidance implements a research contract with the company More Energy (Israel), which resulted in the launch in Ireland of the world’s first serial production (up to 1.5 million units per month) of portable borane-based fuel cells.
- In 2012, the scientist received the Award of the Government of the Russian Federation for the research work «Vortex technologies in power engineering». In 2014, he was awarded an A. V. Lykov international prize, for the scientific work «Dynamics and formation of structures in film flow at intense inter-phase exchange». In 2018 he was awarded the honorary title «Honored Scientist of the Novosibirsk Region»
- Since 1992, Sergey Alekseenko is involved as an executive manager in research contracts with Air Products and Chemicals in the field of natural gas liquefaction, development of fuel cells, analysis of fuel combustion, production of energy resources and modeling of processes in distillation columns with a regular structure. The results of analysis of film and jet flows carried out by the scientist and under his guidance have been used by the company since 2002 to improve the design and develop new cryogenic distillation columns for the production of hydrogen, oxygen etc., and also heat exchangers for natural gas liquefaction.
- The optical diagnostic methods developed under his guidance and with his participation the results of studies of vortices and flows past hydro turbine blades have been used for the last 20 years to improve hydroelectric power equipment at Leningrad Metal Plant (PJSC «Power Machines»). Recent discoveries concerning the vortex reconnection phenomenon in a draft tube open up new possibilities for control of operating modes of hydroelectric power stations. The same appearance, as expected is responsible for solar flares and in accordance to Earth climate change.
- As a result of the implementation of the Energy Saving Program of the SB RAS, prepared and coordinated by academician Alekseenko as one of the first such programs in Russia, a system of automated control and management of energy resources was developed. It allows real-time calculation of electrical and thermal energy flows, as well as control of the reception of operational data to regulate the balance of used fuel and generated energy at thermal power stations.
- In 2011, the research team led by him developed an original industrial water-coal boiler plant with a capacity of 2 MW, working with water-coal fuel and built in Kemerovo in 2015. The boiler with a capacity of 10 MW is prepared to start-up. It is planned as a basis energy source for small-scale energy supply.
- The technology of application of micro-coal (instead of more expensive fuel oil or gas) to ignite and light boilers working with low-grade coals, developed with the scientist`s direct involvement at Kutateladze Institute of Thermophysics, was successfully implemented in 2014 at Belovskaya GRES (state district power station).
- Recently, the academician proposed to open an eco-tech park for the purpose of original thermal and plasma technologies training to solve global waste utilization problems successfully tackled by Kutateladze Institute of Thermophysics.
- Colleagues know Sergey Alekseenko as an erudite, responsive and benevolent person, who loves the nature. He is a master of artistic landscape photography. The academician is an avid traveler and sports lover; for many years he headed the Public Council on Physical Culture and Sports of the Novosibirsk Scientific Center of the SB RAS, which manages a swimming pool, ski lodge, Sports Complex Yunost, Yacht-Club Nauka, shooting and alpine skiing complexes, a tennis court and a skating rink for figure skating.