Russian scientists have found an environmentally friendly way for processing oil waste
ТПУ 2
The scientists of Tomsk Polytechnic University (TPU) have developed an environmentally friendly way for processing oil waste to produce bitumen and liquid hydrocarbons. The research results were published by the Applied Sciences, an international peer-reviewed journal specialising in engineering sciences as well as applied chemistry, physics and biology.

The photo is sourced from news.tpu.ru

Oil extraction, transportation and processing associate with formation of oil sludge – a stable mixture of water, oil products and mechanical impurities, also including sand, clay and metal oxides. The TPU scientists proposed steam pyrolysis for processing such waste, i.e. the process in which saturated hydrocarbons break down into smaller (often unsaturated) hydrocarbons due to thermal decomposition with lack of air. A distinctive feature of this method is the use of water vapour as an intensifying agent, which ensures higher environmental friendliness and safety of the process in comparison with the other solutions based on an inert or anoxic environment.

We conducted experimental studies of steam pyrolysis of oil sludge at a flow through pilot plant for obtaining such energetically valuable products as liquid hydrocarbons, semi-coke, non-condensable gas-phase compounds and bitumen,” the TPU press service quotes Kirill Larionov, one of the research authors, an associate professor of I. N. Butakov Scientific and Educational Center of TPU. “The steam pyrolysis was carried out at the temperature of 650°C. Our target product was liquid hydrocarbons, and we conducted comprehensive studies of their physical and chemical characteristics, spraying, drop ignition and combustion processes,” the scientist explained.

The research supported by an industrial partner, resulted in production of bitumen, semi-coke and non-condensable gas.

Pyrolysis is also used for reduction of an ecological footprint in renewable energy. For example, the French company Rosi Solar has adopted this method for extraction of silicon, silver and copper from the spent solar panels as pyrolysis allows separation of metals from the cells of photovoltaic panels. The development will give an opportunity to reuse the components accounting for 65 percent of the material cost (aluminum and glass are the remaining 35 percent).

Share:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on telegram
Telegram
Share on email
Email
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on vk
VK
Share on odnoklassniki
OK
Share on reddit
Reddit

Add comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Egypt to build the largest wind farm in the Middle East

A consortium of investors headed by Saudi power generation company ACWA Power has signed an agreement with the Egyptian government on development of a 1.1 GW wind farm project to be located on the Suez Canal coast. A $1.5 billion complex is to be commissioned by the end of 2026 with the participation of Egyptian engineering and construction company Hassan Allam Holding.

read more ...

Novak: the climate change agenda requires planned and progressive steps not doing any harm to global energy security

Plans to achieve carbon neutrality, reduce CO2 emissions and ensure sustainable development will remain relevant in the medium and long term, this is the opinion of Alexander Novak, Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation, expressed in his answer to the question asked by Sergey Brilev, the President of the Global Energy Association at the SPIEF session The 2022 Global Energy Balance Challenges.

read more ...

Archives


May 2022
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031