RSA will build three wind farms of total 420 MW
The South-African company Eskom jointly with the French EDF with participation of the RSA Ministry of national resources and energy signed an agreement to design three on-shore wind farms with total 420 MW capacity. The wind farms will be located in the Northern Cape and Eastern Cape provinces in the South of the country and will be connected to the national grid via the 132 KV transmission lines.

The name of the turbines supplier is not made public. Probably, it will be Vestas Wind Systems, which earlier provided the engineering solutions for 35 MW Wesley-Ciskei wind farm commissioned in the already mentioned Eastern Cape province in 2021. The project will be an element of cooperation between Eskom and EDF commenced in October 2021, when the parties achieved a preliminary agreement to bring on stream 25 wind and solar power plants of total 2.58 GW capacity. This bilateral cooperation will allow South Africa to diversify its generation balance. According to Ember Research Centre, the cumulative share of coal and petroleum products in the national generation balance accounted for 88% in 2021, and the remaining 12% were contributed by the nuclear power plants (5%) and the renewable energy sources (7%).

The Republic of South Africa is a regional leader with regards to the speed of renewable energy sources (RES) development pace: the country’s share in the growth of the installed capacity of wind farms in Africa accounted for 44% during the period from 2015 to 2021 (1.9 GW out of total 4.3 GW), and in the solar panels segment this share reached 54% (4.9 GW out of total 9 GW). However, not all the households in South Africa so far have full access to the power greed: in 2020 only 84% of urban households had connectivity, and only 75% of those in rural areas, according to the World Bank. The development of the self-generated power supply partially contributes to resolving this problem: the capacity of the solar panels isolated from the national grid grew by 2 MW during 2015-2021, according to the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).


Share on facebook
Share on telegram
Share on email
Share on twitter
Share on vk
Share on odnoklassniki
Share on reddit

Add comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Gas-fired power plants account for 60% of Africa’s generating capacity growth

The capacity of all types of power plants in Africa grew by 145 GW between 2000 and 2021, which is comparable to the capacity of the available wind generators in the United States (141 GW). According to the Ember research centre estimates, gas-fired thermal power plants (TPPs) provided 60% of the growth, coal-fired TPPs, fuel oil and diesel generators – 17%, whereas all renewable sources (RES) accounted for 23%.

read more ...

Distributed generation capacity in Brazil exceeded that of gas-fired power plants

The number of distributed generation systems in Brazil reached 1.8 million units in the first quarter of 2023; their total capacity is 19 GW, which exceeds the capacity of all gas-fired power plants operating in the country (14.5 GW). Such data are provided by the Energy Information Administration (EIA) of the US Department of Energy with reference to the Brazilian Electricity Regulatory Agency (Agência Nacional de Energia Elétrica, ANEEL).

read more ...


September 2022