Innovation in CCUS: non-amine solvent for absorbing CO2
Инновация в сфере CCUS
The C-Capture company developed a non-amine solvent for carbon dioxide absorption allowing for increasing energy efficiency of CO2 capturing process. The innovation will be tested within XLR8 CCS project currently being implemented by C-Capture jointly with Wood engineering company, cement manufacturer Hanson Cement, glass processer Glass Futures, and Bioenergy Infrastructure Group specialising in electricity generation from waste and biomass.

The photo is sourced from B&H

Relatively low energy/output ratio is viewed as the key advantage of this technology: up to 2.5 gigajoules (GJ) of energy is required to receive 1 tonne of CO2 from the amine-based solvent, while using the non-amine solvent (С-Capture does not disclose its composition) allows for energy consumption from 1.5 to 2 GJ. At the same time, the solvent developed by C-Capture will have lower corrosivity allowing for saving on the materials used for transporting and rectifying the solvent.

The CO2 absorption process will consist of several stages. The flue gas emitted during electricity generation at the gas/biomass-fueled power plant will be first channeled to the sulphur removal unit for cleaning from sulphur dioxide, and then – to the absorption column with non-amine solvent inside. The non-amine solvent will absorb carbon dioxide from the initial feedstock, while the remaining components (nitrogen and oxygen) will be emitted to the atmosphere without any pollutants. The solvent will go via the heat exchanger to the stripper (desorber), where it will release carbon dioxide after heating; the concentrated CO2 will go to the storage facility from the upper section of the desorber, while the regenerated solvent will be released from the bottom section of the desorber.

Several energy saving solutions simultaneously will provide for higher efficiency of CO2 absorption. For example, the desorber will be heated by the steam coming from the power plant, and the above-mentioned heat exchanger also will be used for cooling the regenerated solvent for its reinjection into the absorber and reuse. And finally, the exhaust heated steam will be channeled to the cooling towers, where it will be cooled down to the ambient temperature before releasing it into the atmosphere.

This innovation may be used in the industries, where it is impossible to avoid carbon dioxide emissions, including steel and cement manufacturing accounting for 46% of global CO2 industrial emissions. According to McKinsey, the remaining 54% are distributed between oil-and-gas production + coal mining (21%), chemical industry (12%) and all other industries (21%).


Share on facebook
Share on telegram
Share on email
Share on twitter
Share on vk
Share on odnoklassniki
Share on reddit

Add comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


January 2023